Monday, October 3, 2011

When his fantasy is not your fantasy

Okay ladies, Let's talk. It seems as women our idea of "fantasy" is wine, candle light, no children in the back ground, no television on, and our husbands all to ourselves. His fantasy is football and a bunch of men sitting around drinking, beer eating hot wings and talking football stats. What happens when these two worlds collide can be frustrating!  How can we as women defend ourselves and what we want and need against this? I say we need to stop playing defense and start playing more offense! Here is what I mean by that. So he watches Thursday football at home. That's fine. The kids should be in bed by then. You are probably cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. No big deal. Then Saturday college football day. This is a game or possibly two. Then Sunday comes this is football from from noon til ten p.m. What are we going to do? Let's try this....... Thursday night bring in the laundry to the couch. Fold it, do a little ironing and have a glass of wine. He can sit and watch the game and you are with him. Oh and try not to talk during a play. On a time out or a commercial is fine. Then Friday night you should go ahead and ask " Hey honey, what time is your game coming on tomorrow?" Then ask at this point if you need any help with something on Saturday.  For example: If his game is not til three p.m. can you take little Johnny to his game at noon, so I can have lunch with the girls?  Thanks. Can I bring home some beer and wings for your game? Are you following me ladies? While you and the girls are at lunch discuss Sunday. Maybe one of you has a house that could hold a couple of families. Make some chili and have everyone over for a game on Sunday. Encourage the men to take the boys outside at half time to throw the ball around , while the ladies clean up lunch. Then set out a bucket or two of beer and take the kids to the park and let the men finish the game. I think this way the family is together. And everyone gets a little and gives a little. I say it is worth a try. I have found it is all in my attitude with my husband. So try it and give me some feedback.          

3 comments:

  1. I am not a beer person but I like it. =) I am not too hard core. The sweetness that I like is my wife watches as much football as me! I in turn try to help her with what she needs during off times. Works great for us! Go Falcons & GT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that it's all about give and take. It is so helpful when the spouses both share a common love for a sport though! There are definitely ways to incorporate football - or any sport - into a family's life. You give some great examples of how to accomplish this.

    Back when Jimbo was coaching at Hiram High, we would have Friday nights at the high school games and Saturdays we would have his players over to the house and cook out and watch UGA and whoever else happened to be on. During halftime they would all play with our boys. It was awesome so much so that to this day, when we go to Hiram High School, our youngest walks around that field and field house like he owns it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points April...This past weekend, us and three other couples got together on a Sunday afternoon and had lots of food, beer for the guys and wine for the girls, and we just took turns sending the kiddos back and forth between rooms so the girls could have fun time to talk, and the guys could have some football time. Its all about compromising and both getting your needs met.

    ReplyDelete